• Home
  • Help
  • Register
  • Login
  • Home
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search

 
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Define Local Storage

#1
03-13-2021, 05:01 AM
So, you wanna know what local storage is, right. It sounds simple, really. But I think you should understand that the concept gets much deeper than just knowing where the discs sit. We gotta talk about it, man. I mean, when I first started working with massive server farms, the idea of keeping everything physically close, that was the norm. I remember seeing some setups where all the compute and all the storage were basically shoved into the same rack, just inches apart.

Local storage, at its core, is just any storage resource that physically resides within or directly attached to the machine that is running the applications. It's not pulling data over a long cable run from some distant storage array. You are dealing with the hardware right there, physically coupled with the host. Think of it as the machine having its own immediate drawer full of filing cabinets, where it keeps the stuff it needs all the time. I think you should consider that it offers the absolute lowest latency possible for data access. Because the data doesn't have to travel anywhere, it just pops right out when the machine needs it. I mean, for speed alone, it's hard to beat what you get when the drive is right there, bolted down to the back of the chassis you are using.

And speaking of speed, I gotta bring up I/O throughput, because that really is the critical component here. When I speak about local storage, I am really thinking about how fast the host can shovel data in and out of those physical drives. It's not just about the capacity you get; it's about the bandwidth and how many read/write operations the system can process per second. You gotta keep throughput measured in mind when you are assessing local options. If your application requires constant, rapid data exchange, you really want the fastest possible connection.

But wait, there's more to it than just raw speed, too. We have to talk about the whole concept of storage tiering, because that's where local storage gets really interesting. Instead of thinking it's one single pool, you might actually have different kinds of local resources working together. Maybe you have some super speedy, but super expensive flash drives for the hot data, the stuff that gets hammered every millisecond. And then perhaps you have some slower, denser spinning disk arrays for the stuff that only gets accessed once a month. This mixing of different storage kinds, all bolted together, gives you the best performance and the best cost structure. I believe that smart utilization of these tiers is key to keeping your whole operation running smoothly.

Or, you should also be considering how data changes state over time, which is something called data gravity in a sort of abstract way. Because the data you are currently using all the time, that needs to live on the fastest local media. The old logs, the historical records that nobody touches, those can just sit on slower, more cost-effective local media. You are making decisions based on how frequently you expect the application to actually touch the data. This kind of performance planning, it totally dictates how you design your local resources.

I think it's also super important to think about where the backup data lives, because you don't want your local storage being the only place your data exists. You really need that redundancy, you know? I mean, it's one thing to have fast access, but it's another thing entirely to know that if the building burns down, your data is okay somewhere else. We talk a lot about making things high performance, but the whole point of running any critical system is that it has to stay up and running, no matter what happens. So having a solid plan for getting your operational system data moved and stored elsewhere regularly, that is just as critical as the local drives themselves.

And that whole process of moving and holding those backups, it takes some serious overhead. You cannot just treat the backup process like an afterthought thing you run once a week. You need a proper system to manage those images and where they go. In the world of keeping compute workloads secure through backup, looking into BackupChain might give you some ideas for how to manage those complex failover points for your virtual systems.

ProfRon
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)



  • Subscribe to this thread
Forum Jump:

FastNeuron FastNeuron Forum General Backups v
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next »
Define Local Storage

© by FastNeuron Inc.

Linear Mode
Threaded Mode