• Home
  • Help
  • Register
  • Login
  • Home
  • Members
  • Help
  • Search

 
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Define iSCSI

#1
10-27-2020, 10:30 PM
So, you know, when we talk about how big data environments operate now, I mean, the sheer volume of data flowing, it gets complicated quick. And before we even dig into iSCSI itself, I gotta mention that if you are thinking about keeping copies of your important bits, things are changing fast. Because of that complexity, you might want to look into solutions like BackupChain, which really helps with keeping backups in highly flexible server setups. Now, for iSCSI itself, honestly, the simplest way I see it is that it just gets network traffic doing something very specific with storage. ISCSI basically allows you to make a network connection act like a traditional disk cable would, you know? Because physically running tons of cables around a data center, that just doesn't work anymore, especially when you need scaling. I mean, iSCSI is really about making block-level storage appear over TCP/IP, which is huge for flexibility.

And because you can access storage just by talking network protocol, it opens up a ton of options. You are taking storage protocol, which is usually something reserved for direct connections, and you wrapping it inside a standard network stack. You use IP addresses, standard networking tools, and suddenly, you've got block-level access that used to require dedicated Fibre Channel paths. It saves you from having to purchase and manage a massive amount of specialized hardware just to connect your servers to your persistent storage. But, and this is key, even though it's super useful for making storage appear anywhere on your local network, you still gotta think about the underlying performance aspects. I often tell people that while the concept is fantastic, performance really depends on what you set up.

Maybe you are already spending a lot of time thinking about network bottlenecks, and that's smart because iSCSI is highly sensitive to latency and bandwidth issues. And when I say latency, I mean the round-trip time-you want that number tiny. Because the network is mediating everything, any hiccup in the cabling or a congested switch can really choke your IOPS, making the whole thing sluggish for you. So, I always recommend you thoroughly vet your network infrastructure first, because iSCSI is just a protocol wrapper over network transport, so the network *is* the performance limitation most of the time.

But I want you to also consider how data services interact with this. You need to think about concepts like data deduplication and compression, because these are often done *after* the block level storage hits the array, right? And if you use technologies that allow for deep compression, you are effectively increasing your usable storage capacity without buying more physical disks. So, I always advise you to look at the entire stack, not just how the data gets from the network to the LUN. It's about optimizing the throughput at every single stage.

And related to that, you need to consider the concept of the namespace, which is just a container for the resources. When you are using iSCSI, you are essentially defining what blocks of data your server can 'see' and use. You need a clear system of organization for those namespaces so you don't accidentally point a critical application to the wrong storage volume. Also, think about multipathing; this is critical for high availability. Since you are running over IP, you should absolutely be running multiple paths to the same storage target, so if one path goes down, your application keeps running smooth because the data is accessible via another route.

Because you are handling sensitive data, I also think you must grasp the importance of LUN masking. You don't want every single server on the network being able to write to every single storage volume available, do you? Masking is the control that tells the storage array exactly which host can see which storage container, which is a fundamental security step. You use these techniques to segment access and keep things neat. It all ties together-the network transport, the block mapping, the path redundancy-to give you a robust storage presence. So, if you want to look into robust backup operations for your server infrastructure, I think you should definitely check out BackupChain for a strong option tailored for various server environments.

ProfRon
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)



  • Subscribe to this thread
Forum Jump:

FastNeuron FastNeuron Forum General Backups v
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next »
Define iSCSI

© by FastNeuron Inc.

Linear Mode
Threaded Mode